It is often not easy to tell when ageing begins to affect a family member. Small things can add up to a larger challenge incredibly fast if warning signs are ignored. Look out for:
- Changes in your loved one’s relationships with their family and friends.
- Withdrawing from social situations and interactions.
- Unusual behavior. For example, an increased agitation or speaking too loudly or hardly speaking at all.
- Neglecting personal care, such as matters of hygiene, or failing to eat regularly.
- Signs of forgetfulness. This may be marked by such things as unwashed laundry, scorched or dirty cookware or piles of unopened mail.
- Financial mismanagement, such as unpaid bills or unusual purchases.
- If you begin to notice some of these changes in your loved one, it might be time to look for outside help.